Tel: 6299 1141
AREA OF PRACTICE
Arbitration & Mediation
Bankruptcy & Insolvency
Trademarks / Intellectual Property
Trust & Power of Attorney
Wills, Probate & Administration
Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Barrister-at-Law, Middle Temple
FSIArb, FCIArb, ASIT(Taxation), GCIA, MSID
Joint LL.M., National University of Singapore and University of Nottingham
LL.M, National University of Singapore
LL.B. (Hons), London
Memberships and Appointments
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Notary Public
- Arbitrator, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Arbitrator, Law Society Arbitration Scheme
- Mediator, CASE
- Associate Mediator, State Courts of Singapore
- Associate Mediator, Singapore Mediation Centre
- PRACMENTOR, Law Society of Singapore (Arbitration and International Business Transactions)
- Panel Lawyer, Collaborative Family Law, Singapore Mediation Centre
- Panel Lawyer, Embassy of The People’s Republic of China
- Member, Law Society’s Panel of Mediators (Inadequate Professional Services)
- Member, Singapore Institute of Directors
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Having graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Second Class Honours (Upper Division)) in 1994, Steven pursued his English Barrister qualification on a scholarship, and subsequently obtained a first Masters of Laws in 2000 (specializing in International Trade, Taxation and Corporate Insolvency/ Restructuring) followed by another Masters of Laws in 2003 (specializing in Intellectual Property, International Commercial Law and Shipping Law).
He was awarded the Book Prize in Drafting and Award Writing by the President of London’s Chartered Institute of Arbitrator in 2006.
Steven is a certified arbitrator, mediator and neutral evaluator, specializing in commercial, employment, international trade, insurance, shipping and construction disputes.
Whilst working as a General Counsel of an international listed Shipping and Oil & Gas company, Steven’s legal team was nominated for the Shipping In-House Team of the Year in 2006, 2007 and 2008 for ALB SE Asia Law Awards (which recognizes SE Asia’s leading law firms and as well as top deals and dealmakers) (ref: http://www.albawards.com/), and winning the award in 2008.
Steven is also mentioned in Asia Law Profiles as a lawyer familiar with Oil & Shipping matters and has a strong reputation in the mediation matter.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution Experience
Prior to joining Templars Law LLC, Steven was a partner of a Singapore international firm and was a senior lawyer in an international law firm handling complex commercial and corporate matters (specializing in M&A and Joint Ventures Agreements of medical institutions and energy & Oil & Gas related companies).
He was involved in over 80 international commercial arbitrations (in various parts of the world, including New York, London, Middle East, China and other parts of South East Asia), specializing in shipping, international trade, reinsurance and insurance disputes and cross-borders mergers and acquisitions. Many of the cases handled by Steven are reported in the Singapore Law Reports.
Corporate, Joint Venture, Re-structuring and M&A Experience
Steven was the General Counsel / Head of Legal & Compliance of a listed multinational Shipping and Oil & Gas company (“Listco”) and was involved in the negotiations and preparation of the legal documentation of the Bonds JVs and M&As of several oil and shipping related companies in Singapore, BVI, Bermuda, China, Malaysia and Hong Kong and the establishment of oil exchanges in Guangzhou and Hong Kong.
As the Listco has strategic partners from USA and Europe and around the world, the compliance and regulatory regimes that the Company must adhere to include the Stock Exchange Rules and Government Regulations of Singapore, Hong Kong, New York and the compliance requirements of China, USA and Europe. The compliance strategies, policies and operations were handed in-house, with Steven as the head of the relevant departments.
Steven was also involved in all negotiations, drafting and executions of the joint-venture projects and strategic investments of the Listco, including but not limited to, shipbuilding contracts, investment and acquisitions into ports, shipyards and refineries, storage facilities and the formation of oil and commodities exchanges.
In relation to commercial and trade financing work, Steven was involved in the structuring, negotiations and drafting of the documentations and follow-up compliance monitoring for bonds and commercial investments of up to USD 800 million and ISDA agreements in New York, Malaysia, China, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Before joining this Listco, Steven was the Chief Legal Officer of a medical healthcare provider and was involved in the merger and acquisition of the center by a listed entity. He was also involved in several other mergers and acquisitions of hospitals in China.
Whilst in private practice, Steven also handled a take-over and eventual restructuring of a multinational listed education provider in Singapore and China.
Currently he is retained by several companies (in the construction, shipping oil & gas, healthcare, aesthetic beauty and motor-trade industries) as their independent legal advisor.
Academic / Training Roles
- Lecturer in Evidence Gathering, Interview and Interrogation techniques and Court Room Preparations for Investigators in various government agencies and statutory boards.
- Lecturer at the Singapore University of Social Sciences, teaching international trade law, contract law, corporate governance, company law and family law.
- External Lecturer of several Australian and UK Universities, teaching the law of torts, international business law, marketing law, employment law, company law and corporate governance and dispute resolutions and negotiations techniques and strategies.
- Trainer in the Law Society’s Advocacy Training Program for Singapore Institute of Legal Studies Part B students since its inception in 2002.
- Independent Director of several construction companies and shipping companies.
- Key appointments in several grassroots organizations.
- Committee Member, Council for Problem Gambling, Ministry of Social & Family Development.
- Former Committee Member in the Supreme Courts’ Committee on Promoting Singapore Law Internationally.
- Former Committee Member of the Films Review Committee Ministry of Information, Communication the Arts (“MICA”).
- Former Committee Member of the Remaking Singapore Committee.
For his community and other contributions to society, Steven was awarded the Public Service Medal (PBM) by the President of Singapore in 2005 and the Public Service Star (BBM) in 2012.
For his legal work, Steven received numerous awards and recognition, including the following:
- “Outstanding Volunteer Award” in 2010 by the Minister of Law in 2010
- “Minister of Law Appreciation Award” in 2011
- Certificates of Appreciationfor the work done for the State Courts (as a Mediator at the Primary Dispute Resolution Centre and Small Claims’ Tribunal)
- “Outstanding Volunteer Award” by the State Courts in 2016
- due recognition by Law Society of Singapore and State Courts for the work done for the Law Society’s Criminal Legal Aid Scheme and HELP Center, from 2010 and 2012.